Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty is an aesthetic surgical procedure used for making the abdomen thin and firm. Often after pregnancy or extreme weight loss, the body is left with loose floppy muscles of the abdomen especially the middle and lower abdomen. If the person is in good health and is unable to tone the abdominal muscles by diet and exercise, then doctors recommend abdominoplasty which is more commonly known as tummy tuck.A tummy tuck is not an alternative to weight loss, in fact, it is not even recommended in overweight or obese patients. For a tummy tuck, it is important that a person is in good health and is in the healthy range of weight and height of the body.
Tummy Tuck favorable for:
Tummy Tuck is helpful for the following people,
- Those who are in good health.
- Those who have weight according to their height.
- Those who have realistic expectations from the surgery.
- Those who have a sagging skin around the abdomen.
- Those who have extra weight in the midsection of the stomach.
- Those who show commitment to maintaining the weight afterward with health diet and exercise.
Tummy Tuck is not favorable for:
- Those who have unrealistic expectations from the procedure.
- Those who are addicted to smoking.
- Those who are obese and are considering it a weight loss option.
- Those who plan to become pregnant.
- Those who are not healthy and their medical condition may be compromised by the surgical procedure.
- Those who are undergoing the treatment because of someone and personally they are not interested in or comfortable with the surgical treatment.
Types of Tummy Tuck:
|S. No.||Types of Tummy Tuck||Description|
(Full Tummy Tuck)
|In this procedure, the abdomen will be cut from one side to another above the hipbone, and then the tissues and muscles are cut according to the need. Repositioning of the umbilicus will be required. The procedure takes about 1-5 hours.|
|Mini Tuck is for people who have a fat deposit below the umbilicus. This system does not require umbilicus repositioning and is completed within 1-2 hours.|
|3||Extended Abdominoplasty||This is full abdominoplasty with a lateral thigh lift. In this procedure not only the abdomen is contoured but also the waist and lateral side of legs are also contoured.|
|4||High Lateral Tension Tummy Tuck||This is an advanced procedure which takes more than four and half hours. This tightens the muscles vertically as well as horizontally.Whereas, in tired techniques muscles were only compressed vertically.|
|5||Floating Abdominoplasty or
|This technique is also known as extended mini abdominoplasty. This procedure is done through a small incision and during the proceedings, the umbilicus is detached temporarily.Excess skin is removed, muscles tightened and belly button re-attached.|
|6||Circumferential Abdominoplasty||It is an extended abdominoplasty with a buttock lift.This procedure is also known as belt lipectomy or lower body lift.|
|7||Combination procedure||Abdominoplasty combined with Liposuction also known as Lipotuck is done to do body contouring. Along with the abdomen; the thighs, hips, and buttocks are also reshaped in this procedure.|
- Full recovery requires 3-6 months.
- Initial 1-4 weeks, bed rest is advised.
- The patient is advised to stay away from nicotine at least for a month.
- A compression garment is given to the patient which helps in supporting the tissues and helps the treated area to reform into the new shape.
Although the tummy tuck is a safe procedure still complications may arise, and the patient must be informed of all the possible complications beforehand. Following post op is important. Instructions carefully to avoid any complications.
The possible risks of this surgery are,
- Poor wound healing
- Anesthesia complications
- Persistent pain
- Persistent swelling
- Suture rupture
- Fat necrosis