There are many types of skin cancer i.e Physical symptoms of skin cancer may vary to person to person because of different types and causes. Sometimes there are very common physical symptoms of skin cancer which are usually ignored by people such as shiny face , blisters ,pimples etc. so far to know about physical symptoms of skin cancer we should know about what the cancer is, what are the types of skin cancer and how it cause.
As It is the abnormal growth of skin cells, most often developed due to exposure of skin to the sun and rarely develops on areas of skin which are not exposed to the sunlight.
Types of Skin Cancer:
There are many other types of skin cancer but the three main types include basal cell carcinoma. which is the most common type, the second most common is squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma. Other types of skin cancer include lymphomas and solar keratosis.
Basal Cell Carcinoma is cancer that grows on the parts of the skin which are most exposed to the sunlight. It is the least risky type of skin cancer if diagnosed early. As it has very less physical symptoms of skin cancer. It starts from shiny bumps on face. People with fair skin have more likely chances to get this skin cancer. Cancer grows very slowly and is exposed after a year or two.
Squamous Cell Carcinoma starts from the outermost layer of skin and spreads on the other parts of the skin. It starts occurring on lips, tongue, and lining of the mouth. It is very rare in children and young adults.
Melanoma is a type of cancer developed from melanocytes, which usually occur in the skin. Rarely occurs in mouth, intestine, and eyes.
Causes of Skin Cancer:
- There are some other factors which cause skin cancer but the following are the main reasons for it:
- Ultraviolet rays from the sun are the main cause of skin cancers like melanoma and squamous cell carcinoma.
- The tanning bed is also a cause of skin cancer. The tanning bed is a bed with ultraviolet lights to make your skin browner.
- Sometimes a wart virus trigger changes in skin cells which cause basal cell carcinoma formation.
- Exposure to chemicals such as smoking or an accident such as burn.
- People who have had an organ transplant can also develop skin cancer.
- People with conditions such as lymphoma have more chances of developing multiple skin cancers.
- And last but not the least factor is that it can also be hereditary.
Physical Symptoms of Skin Cancer:
Following are the Physical symptoms of skin cancers. These symptoms can also be a cause of any other disease or infection but if they stay for a long time and reappear even after treatment they can be a symptom of any skin cancer.
- Alterations in the skin are key symptoms of skin cancer like melanoma.
- Change in color, shape or size of skin.
- Spot on the skin which feels itchy, painful or sometimes bleeds.
- A part of the sore skin that does not heal.
- A spot on the skin which is red, dry and very rough.
- Waxy and hard skin growth.
- Growing bump or a pimple on the skin that bleeds easily and does not heal.
- Pink skin growth with raised dry borders.
- Raised reddish patches or skin areas that itch but are not painful.
- The growth of rough skin.
- The weakness of a part of the body.
- Continuous fever.
- A backache if the skin cancer has spread to the bones.
- Rise in blood calcium.
- Low level of blood cells.
- Weight loss.
- Poor appetite.
- A cough that last long, breathlessness and ongoing chest infections happen if the skin cancer has spread to the lungs.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
- The treatment of different types of skin cancer is done according to the size and place of cancer. Following are some methods used to treat skin cancers:
- It is treated by simple skin surgery.
- In some minor cases, it is treated by scrapping called curettage or by freezing with liquid nitrogen.
- In situations where surgery is not appropriate for treating cancer, it may be treated with radiation therapy.
- Cutting out the tumor by excision.
- By scrapping the tumor and using electricity for killing tumor cells.
- Moh’s surgery is another way of treating skin cancer in which tumor is removed layer by layer. Moh’s surgery is done if the cancer is very large, is in a sensitive part of the body, it has been there for a long time or has reappeared.
- Skin cancers are also treated with creams and pills depending upon the situation of cancer.
- Monthly checkup of your skin
- Use of sunscreen
- By taking vitamin D supplements
- Eating green vegetables lower the chances of skin cancer
- Avoid using tanning beds
- Protective clothing
- Self-examination of skin cancer symptoms
- The rate of skin cancer like basal cell carcinoma, melanoma, lymphoma and etc has increased nowadays because of the changing temperature and atmosphere of the earth, and depletion of ozone layer. Due to the rising temperature, the ultraviolet rays are becoming more harmful to the people living in hot regions such as America, Australia, India, and Pakistan etc. So, it has become necessary to take the precautions and avoid any chances of skin cancer.