Color Blind Test
Color blindness is a condition mostly affecting the males in which a person is unable to distinguish between different colours. It is also termed as “colour vision deficiency.Due to colour blindness, a person is unable to perform routine activities like shopping for clothes, reading traffic lights etc. Colour blindness may range from mild to severe where in the latter there is also visual impairment. Colour blindness is mostly inherited having the gene on the X-chromosome. Due to this reason colour blindness is mostly present in males because males form when XY chromosome pair. If the X- chromosome carrying the gene causing colour blindness is present in a man, it will express itself. Whereas, in females, there is an XX- chromosome and if an X- chromosome carries the affecting gene it is balanced by the other X- chromosome. However, if both X-chromosomes carry the gene then a female will also be colour blind. Color Blind Test, colour blindness can also be acquired due to numerous reasons like an injury to the brain or eye; due to chronic diseases like macular degeneration, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, liver disease, sickle cell anemia, glaucoma etc.; medications like antibiotics or anti-tuberculosis drugs; chemicals like carbon monoxide or lead-containing chemicals and age above 60.
How to detect color blindness?
It is important to recognize color blindness as early as possible so that the person can be given treatment. There are numerous tests to detect color blindness which is discussed below,
Types of Color Blind Test
1- Ishihara Colour Test
2- Farnsworth Lantern Test
3- Farnsworth-Munsell 100 hue test
4- HRR Colour Test
5- RGB Anomaloscope
|1-ISHIHARA COLOUR TEST
|• The Ishihara Colour Test is for red and green color deficiencies
• Dr. ShinobuIshishara who was a professor at the University of Tokyo designed this test.
• The Ishihara test consists of 38 plates.
• The plates used in the analysis are specially designed having spots of different colors and size splattered over the plate.
• Some of these spots form a letter, number or shape on the plate and are visible only to those having a normal vision whereas; color blinds cannot distinguish the pattern.
• The different plates use to form different tests. The plates are named accordingly,
o Demonstration Plate
o Transformation plates
o Vanishing plates
o Hidden digit plates
o Diagnostic plates
|2- FARNSWORTH LANTERN TEST|
|It is also written as FALANT.
• This test was developed by Dr. Dean Farnsworth who was a commander in US Navy.
• Originally this test was designed for the sailors.
• In this test, the pair of vertical lights having the color of different combinations like red-green, yellow-white are shown, and the patient is asked to distinguish between the bright colors.
• Nine color combinations are shown to the patient to detect.
• People which color blindness may find it difficult to differentiate between the colors.
• Prolonged exposure and different brightness levels affect the response.
|3- FARNSWORTH-MUNSELL 100 HUE TEST|
|It is also as Munsell vision test.
• This test was developed by Dean Farnsworth in 1940.
• In consists of two types of analysis, 100 hue test, and D-15 test.
• In these test the patient is asked to arrange the colors having little differences and having constant chroma, value covering all visual hues.
• Patient with normal vision and with color blindness will arrange the colors differently.
• This test not only helps in distinguishing the type of colour blindness but also the severity of It.
|4- HRR COLOUR TEST|
|• This test was developed by Hardy, Rand, and Rittler.
• It is a red-green color test.
• It also has plates like Ishihara test, but unlike Ishihara test, it can also detect the Triton defects.
|5- RGB ANOMALOSCOPE|
|• It is a simple red-green color blindness test in which boxes of two colors are shown.
• A slider is present below the boxes. By sliding it, the colors are tried to mix.
• If you see that the colors can mix with each other, it means you are color blind.
Treatment of Colour Blindness:
The first step is to check or evaluate your eyesite by color blind test. Once successfully detected it is essential to relief the person from discomfort caused by color blindness. However, there is no proper treatment for it, but it is possible to manage color blindness by the below-mentioned methods,
1- Use of specially designed contact lenses.
2- Use of specially designed sunglasses.
3- Mobile applications provided in IPhone and IPad.
4- GENOME helps to shift the colors on the desktop to pleasant ones.