Carpal Tunnel Surgery Symptoms and Treatment
Carpal Tunnel Surgery is a narrow path or canal in the palm, which is made of bones and ligaments. The bottom and sides of the tunnel are formed by half of the circle of bones called carpal bones.
Carpel tunnel is caused by the pressure of the median nerve. Which is one of the major nerves of the hands, it causes Carpel tunnel syndrome.
In open Carpel tunnel surgery, the transverse carpal ligament is cut. Which then releases pressure on the median nerve (major nerve) and causes the symptoms of Carpel tunnel syndrome.
If the pressure increases on the median nerve continuously. It may lead to damage the nerve and the patient get reach on the worst condition.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Surgery:
Common symptoms in carpal tunnel surgery
- Tingling or numbness in hands or finger, especially the thumb and index, middle or ring finger is affected. The sensations may travel from your wrist up to arms. However, it usually occurs while holding a steering wheel, phone or newspaper.
- Some patients experience weakness in their hand and have not enough tendency to hold an object. Because of the numbness and weakness in the hand and thumb’s pinching muscles. Which is controlled by the median nerve (one of the major nerves).
- In the severe symptoms, the loss of feeling or coordination in the fingers or wrist of the hand, this may make the hand difficult to perform functions or subtle movements.
- Occasional sensations like shocks or current radiates to the finger or wrist of the hand.
Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Surgery:
In the start of the syndrome, it may be not painful, but after the time Carpel tunnel syndrome will get worse at the time, and then the surgeon will recommend you one of the two treatments. One is the non-surgical treatment, and other is the surgical treatment.
By the medications and physical therapy, the carpal tunnel syndrome may get relief without surgery. If the symptoms are mild, not at the worse stage. The surgeon will recommend you the physical treatment or non-surgical treatment.
The treatment includes:
Wearing a brace or splint which prevents to bend the wrist while doing activities which make the wrist curl.
- The surgeon will recommend your medicines which are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen naproxen. This gives relief the patient from pain and inflammation.
- The surgeon will recommend the patient to change and modify his recreational activities, which may lead to bending the wrist. By the modification, the events will get slow or stop the progression of the syndrome.
- The carpal tunnel syndrome patients can also get relief from the nerve gliding exercise recommended by the surgeon. In addition, that helps the median nerve move more freely within the confines of the carpal tunnel.
- Steroid injections like corticosteroid, or cortisone, is a potent anti-inflammatory agent. For instance, can be injected into the carpal tunnel, which makes the patient relief or free of pain temporarily. These injections also used to diagnose the carpel tunnel syndrome.
Read More: Weight Loss Surgery (All Information)
If the patient does not get relief by non-surgical treatment, the surgeon will recommend a surgical procedure.
- Endoscopic Carpel Tunnel Surgery:
In the Endoscopic surgery, in this procedure, an incision will make at the base of the palm. Which allows the doctor to see the transverse carpal ligament. After that, he will make small incisions, about half-inch of each cut, called portals.
He will place a tiny camera in one of the openings to visualize on the monitor screen. Which guides him as he cuts the ligament. The openings are smaller, so the cuts will heal faster and have less pain.
- Open Carpel Tunnel Surgery:
In the open surgery, the large incisions will make by the surgeon, about two inches of each cut, from the wrist to the palm the hand. In other words, the surgeon will cut the transverse carpal ligament. Which increases the size of the tunnel and decreases the pressure on the median nerve. After the surgery, the ligament will grow back together gradually, and pressure will be relieved.
Complications of Carpal Tunnel Surgery :
The complications would be after the surgery like:
- Nerve aggravation or injury to the median nerve or nearby nerves and blood vessels
- Scars that hurts to touch