Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction surgery is also known as Mammaplasty. In this surgery, the removal of excessive breast fats, glandular tissue, and skin take place.
If you have large breasts which are not in proportion with your body that is causing back pain, neck pain or other physical symptoms.
Men with some particular conditions such as Gynecomastia, in which male breasts enlarge disproportionately. That may also get a breast reduction.
Breasts grow in response to the hormones such as estrogen and progesterone. When a female enters in puberty stage, levels of these hormones increase.
The change in hormone level, during the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, breastfeeding, and menopause (above 50 age periods stop). Hormones cause a change in the amount of fluid in your breasts.
The breast reduction surgery or mammoplasty is a procedure for the reduction of the enlarged size of the breasts, which are not in proportion according to your body.
In the surgery, the re-establishment of a functional bust that proportionate to a woman’s body. In which the correctness of tissues, nipple-areola complex (NAC). To ensure the functional sensitivity and the capability of lactation.
Why is it done?
Breasts reduction surgery or mammoplasty is meant to every woman who has enlarged breasts size and wants to resolve issues such as:
- Chronic back or back pain, neck and shoulder pain that requires pain medications
- Chronic rashes and redness under the breasts or skin irritation under the breasts
- Nerve pain
- Restricted physical activities
- Poor self-image related to large breasts which may cause a lack of self-confidence
- Difficult in the fitting into bras and clothing
The surgery is not for those people:
- Have certain conditions such as diabetes or heart problems
- Are very obese or fat
- Want to avoid scars or marks on the breasts
How to prepare for breast reduction surgery:
For breast reduction surgery or mammoplasty. A patient should be in good physical shape to ensure proper healing and in good confidence for the surgery.
So that, the patient should follow her surgeon’s instructions before and after breast reduction surgery.
- A patient should discuss the expectations for breast size and appearance after the breast reduction surgery
- The patient should ask for the detailed description of the procedure and its risks and benefits. Including likely scarring and possible loss of sensation and other risks.
- Examine and measure your breasts size
- Take photographs or pictures of the breasts for your medical record
- A surgeon will explain the type of anesthesia used during breast reduction surgery
Before the start of breast reduction surgery, the patient might also be asked for:
- Complete various lab tests for health diagnosis
- Get a baseline mammogram
- The patient should stop smoking for a certain period before and after surgery
- Avoid taking medications such as aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements, to control bleeding during a surgical procedure.
During the breast reduction surgery, the surgeon will follow the following steps for surgery, which are the following:
- The patient will ask to remove his dress and wear the patient’s gown.
- Patient has to clean and shaved his exposed parts where the surgery will take place.
- The surgeon will inject him an injection by which the receptor of the injured area gets numb.
- After that, the surgeon will clean the area with antiseptic.
- The surgeon will make an incision or cut around the nipple or areola. The incision will continue in a straight vertical line to the breast’s crease. Moreover, a further incision will make beneath of the breast’s crease
- Sometimes breast may need a free nipple graft. The nipple will remove and after that reattach at a higher or upper point on the breast to shape it in the best way.
- In many cases, a surgeon uses liposuction to remove the excess fat, tissues, and skin in the breasts
- The surgeon will make stitches from deep inside the breast tissue to add support.
- Then the surgeon will make incisions skin to bring together and join and then close it.
Although every surgery has its complications and risks after taking place. The breast reduction surgery or mammoplasty has its complications which can occur in the patient after the surgery.
- After the surgery, it may cause allergic reactions, bleeding, inflammation or infection.
- Thrombosis, stroke or blood clot may occur inside the veins.
- Cardiovascular disease such as heart attack may occur.
- Changes occur in a sensation of breast and numbness may also occur.
- Necrosis (in which cells usually stop their functions and lead themselves to death)
- Necrosis may occur near the areola tissues or inside the breast.
- Some patients have to face problems while breastfeeding their babies after the surgery.
- Breasts might be swollen, sensitive and bruised.
The successful breasts reduction surgery leads the patient to get back their confidence. Makes their elegant posture, positive self-image and able them to do any physical activity.
The patients can wear fit bras and clothes after the surgery. They will get relief from any sensations and pain that occurred before the surgery.